This episode is likely the beginning of a disconnected series on Charcuterie, which is a French term for meat preservation. Examples of cured meats you might consume regularly are bacon, ham, and sausage. Today we discussed the basics of charcuterie and Josh provided a walk-through of prepping French Style of Duck Confit, which is surprisingly easy; you probably have the tools you need already in your home. In addition to the main topic we did a good job of slaughtering some conversation on gaming, vegetarianism, disclaiming watching TMZ, and plenty of pot jokes to go along with the smokin’ discussion.
This is the first in a series of episodes on Cheap Hobbies, which we have defined as hobbies you can participate in beginning-to-end for under $250 investment.
- Alan Botches the Intro, thank goodness for the cutting room floor
- Shark Suicide
- What has everyone been up to (4 minutes in)
- Blood & Honor - Feudal Japan RPG
- Redshirts – You are the captain, you have to kill off all of your red shirts
- Jim’s Mom Listening to the Podcast
- Darrin Competing against Tanya in steps on Fitbit
- Josh Bought a New Car! A Honda Fit – Sport!
- The Ford Focus SVT
- Jim tells us a story about buying his first car with his Father
- Martin Short on the Today Show
- Cal Worthington – Old but Marrying Young
- Elder Signs: Omens Game
- Please Stay Calm – Jim wants Referrals – Join if you have an iOS device! Jim’s referral code: EE1E696E0
- Silence! the Musical – Jim sings the Rubbing the Lotion on the Skin
- Dr. Horrible’s Sing-along Blog
- Joss Whedon
- Trey Parker and Matt Stone
- Jim’s list of Things the Internet Needs to Shut-Up About: Firefly
- Added to the list: Bacon
- Duck – the new bacon?
- KFC Double Down
33 Minutes In: Charcuterie
- Method of Preserving Food
- How long to smoke meat?
- Pot Jokes – too many references to 4:20
- Short Diversion on Pot Pipes: Tin Can, Graffix Bong, Cored Apple
- a/k/a Tommy Chong
- Quality of Meat you can get from a local vendor and process yourself – better product
- Darrin admits he is a vegetarian! We had always suspected it.
- Vegeritarian Chorizo
- Jim’s Tip: Don’t use the same toaster for your veggie burgers that you do for other food
- Josh mentions 3 preps he will cover, we only get to one this episode: French Style of Duck/Goose Confit – It is super easy!
- Special Tools Needed: None
- Microphone Breakdown
- SXSW – Homeless Hotspot
- AdamandEve.com – Exotic Meat Substitute
Josh’s article on Make regarding rendering fat (brand new!)